Who’s The Drummer?
Come on, I'm not really THAT old...right?
The other day I was in the kitchen playing my "Oldies" playlist through Alexa. To me, "Oldies" covers 1956 - 1976. During almost every song, I would tell my 18-year-old daughter some factoid about the song or the band playing it. (Now, what in the last few sentences would make one think I'm old?)
After about a half hour of this, it occurred to me that I know the names of most of the musicians in the bands that played the music from my era. But when I asked my daughter who Ariana Grande's drummer was, or who plays guitar for Justin Bieber - she didn't have a clue. And the look on her face suggested that it was a stupid question to ask in the first place.
And it may very well have been.
The reason today's songs pretty much sound like one another is because each act lacks a specific group of musicians exclusive to that act, that gives it a unique sound. You know the singer’s name, but that’s all you know. One digital drum plug-in sounds like any other digital drum plug-in.
But Charlie Watts and John Bonham were totally differently-styled drummers, and you could tell that in two measures. Same difference with John Lord and Billy Preston, Jack Bruce and Geddy Lee, Dickey Betts and Terry Kath. Even if it was a one-name act like Elton John, I still knew who played guitar, bass and drums; Davey Johnstone, Dee Murray, and Nigel Olsson. That’s not showing off - MOST people knew that stuff.
That's not the only difference. The musicians of my time weren't necessarily attractive. Today, you not only have to sing well, but you also have to be really good-looking. Because in six months, when the public gets tired of the fifth iteration of your debut hit, you'll need to be able to appear on TV and/or in movies without making the audience wince.
I am often diagnosed with “Good Ol’ Days Syndrome”; but when it comes to the music of my life, I hope it’s chronic with no chance for a cure.
P.S.
Liberty DeVitto...
Discuss.
The other day I was in the kitchen playing my "Oldies" playlist through Alexa. To me, "Oldies" covers 1956 - 1976. During almost every song, I would tell my 18-year-old daughter some factoid about the song or the band playing it. (Now, what in the last few sentences would make one think I'm old?)
After about a half hour of this, it occurred to me that I know the names of most of the musicians in the bands that played the music from my era. But when I asked my daughter who Ariana Grande's drummer was, or who plays guitar for Justin Bieber - she didn't have a clue. And the look on her face suggested that it was a stupid question to ask in the first place.
And it may very well have been.
The reason today's songs pretty much sound like one another is because each act lacks a specific group of musicians exclusive to that act, that gives it a unique sound. You know the singer’s name, but that’s all you know. One digital drum plug-in sounds like any other digital drum plug-in.
But Charlie Watts and John Bonham were totally differently-styled drummers, and you could tell that in two measures. Same difference with John Lord and Billy Preston, Jack Bruce and Geddy Lee, Dickey Betts and Terry Kath. Even if it was a one-name act like Elton John, I still knew who played guitar, bass and drums; Davey Johnstone, Dee Murray, and Nigel Olsson. That’s not showing off - MOST people knew that stuff.
That's not the only difference. The musicians of my time weren't necessarily attractive. Today, you not only have to sing well, but you also have to be really good-looking. Because in six months, when the public gets tired of the fifth iteration of your debut hit, you'll need to be able to appear on TV and/or in movies without making the audience wince.
I am often diagnosed with “Good Ol’ Days Syndrome”; but when it comes to the music of my life, I hope it’s chronic with no chance for a cure.
P.S.
Liberty DeVitto...
Discuss.
Excellent little read - keep em' coming Stubie!
ReplyDelete